Hydrotherapy, also known as aquatic therapy, is a water-based therapeutic treatment designed to utilise the benefits of water to improve movement and function. Water is a unique medium in which exercises can be performed with less stress on the structures of the human body.
Our specialist physiotherapists at The Rehab Physio will tailor a treatment program specifically to your needs using their knowledge and experience of enhancing neurological function. We are accredited by The Aquatic Therapy Association of Chartered Physiotherapists, assuring a quality service.
Hydrotherapy treatment programs take place in a warm, shallow pool so being able to swim is not essential. Treatment sessions may consist of movement, stretching and strengthening exercises with or without floatation devices to optimise movement. Hydrotherapy sessions are also suitable for children and may be an exciting and enjoyable way of enhancing function. Both bed and chair hoists are provided in the hydrotherapy pool area so that clients of all abilities may experience the benefits of aquatic physiotherapy.
Benefits of Aquatic Physiotherapy
- Aquatic therapy is suitable for all ages and abilities
- There is less stress on the physiological structures of the body
- Rehabilitation may begin earlier as weight bearing is reduced in water
- The heated temperature of the water to around 35°C reduces pain and promotes healing of tissue
- Reduced fear of falling when mobilising in water compared to on land due to the support of the water
- Aquatic physiotherapy can improve strength, balance, co-ordination, movement patterns and self confidence both in the pool and on land